Learning to hear the Lord’s voice is an essential part of growing as a child of God. Here is an acronym I have used over the years to help me grow in this skill. Hope it blesses your journey — Pastor Jamey
Habit – “Morning by Morning” Isaiah 50:4
Isaiah 50:4-5 “The Lord God has given Me the tongue of disciples, That I may know how to sustain the weary one with a word. He awakens Me morning by morning, He awakens My ear to listen as a disciple. The Lord God has opened My ear; And I was not disobedient, Nor did I turn back.”
- Morning by morning
- Listen as one being taught
- Not disobedient
Expect the Unexpected – 1 Kings 19:9-13
1 Kings 19:9-13 “Then he came there to a cave, and lodged there; and behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and He said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” And he said, “I have been very zealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the sons of Israel have forsaken Thy covenant, torn down Thine altars and killed Thy prophets with the sword. And I alone am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.” So He said, “Go forth, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD was passing by! And a great and strong wind was rending the mountains and breaking in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle blowing. And it came about when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
- Elijah was expecting to hear from the Lord in a certain way, so when the Lord spoke to Him in a different way, Elijah was unable to hear.
- The key to hearing the Lord is to expect the unexpected. Don’t get hung up on how the Lord speaks, just learn to recognize His voice.
- So if it is a booming voice out of heaven or the Lord speaking through a little child, you will be able to recognize it. This takes humility.
Anticipation – “Expectation is Invitation”- 1 Samuel 3:1-11
Expect to hear from the Lord. Just like little Samuel, Say “Speak Lord your child is listening.”
- If you expect it to be hard and you not to hear anything, you are applying your faith towards doubt and unbelief.
- Instead, apply your faith towards your expectation to hear the voice of your Shepherd.
Reason of use – Hebrews 5:14
Hebrews 5:14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
- We become better at something or more mature at something by doing, not by talking. The more we practice hearing the Lord’s voice, the better you will become at distinguishing between His voice and your own thoughts.
And, to hear last weekend’s message on this topic, visit the podcast here!